Re: [OM] So the geek in me...

Subject: Re: [OM] So the geek in me...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:24:30 -0500
> I can certainly understand that rangefinders are not for everybody, in
> fact, they are not for most people!  They are perfect for me, though, and
> I'm so glad I started with Leicas 40 years ago.  If I were starting out
> today, there would be entirely too many choices  ;-)

When I got to the point of buying my first camera, I wanted an SLR,
but couldn't afford it. Ended up buying the Yashica GSN instead. In
hindsight, but limitations of the camera really did force me to not
rely on the technology to get the job done. Honestly, I resented those
rangefinder cameras for the ten or so years that I shot them. When I
had the opportunity to buy an M5 for a song, I turned it down because
the camera was ugly and a rangefinder. Oh, well...

When I eventually did buy the OM-2S, I recognized pretty quickly that
it was the system for me. But the world proceeded to pass me by with
autofocus and different flash systems. Once the digital era hit, I had
to find a new camera home all over again. Yes, I recognize now that I
made a pretty big mistake, in some regards, in picking the system I
did. But who knew that Olympus was going to show the middle finger to
their customers a second time? (I won't give them a chance to show it
to me a third time).

However, I've gone full circle and embraced the OM system--the system
of my choice over 25 years ago, all over again. And am loving it.

It's the lenses, baby!

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx