Re: [OM] Olympus Macro review.

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Macro review.
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 13:53:50 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> On 5/15/2013 5:16 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> So *that's* what the macro button on my 12-50 lens is supposed to do.
>> :-)
>
> So - you guys believe some stranger, but not Moose and MikeG?
>
> We told you months ago that the 12-50 in Micro Mode is at least as good as
> the OM 50/2 Macro.
>
> Impressive as many of his images are, They don't represent the best that
> the lens can do. He's using an E-P3 with JPEGs.
> The higher quality, higher pixel count sensor of the E-M5, E-P5, E-PL5 and
> E-PM2, using Raw, can do a still slightly
> better job.

These are the best 12-50 macro samples I have ever seen, but I'm sure I
haven't seen enough :-).

> Although mine is used almost exclusively for shots like his, 3D subjects
> only within DOF in the center, I'd be
> interested in how it works for flat field to the corners.
>
> If I were doing slide copying, I'd be trying it for that. I'm betting it's
> able to resolve all that's on the slides.

I think the E-M5 may not be able to resolve a good 35mm frame. While I was
working with the 80/4 and 5D II setup, I found it is not even able to get
all from an old 35mm Kodak CP100. The result is ok for most application but
not the best one can get, a sharp 4000dpi scanner like N*kon 4000ED seem did
better.

Here is a crop from a 1984 Beijing shot taken with Sigma 35-70/2.8-4 on
OM-10, handheld.

4000ED at 300dpi

www.accura.com.hk/temp/1984-09B-35.jpg

5D II, 80/4 at 1:1, F11