Re: [OM] OT PC backup programs - Chuck responds to frequent mentions of

Subject: Re: [OM] OT PC backup programs - Chuck responds to frequent mentions of Acronis
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 12:25:03 -0400
Moose is correct... I *used to* use Acronis TrueImage Version 9.0 with
XP (circa 2005).  It was good for making clone drives as it was very
easy to use.  I never used it for any other purpose since my preferred
backup software (other than cloning) is SyncBack as Piers mentioned
For ongoing automated backup once you have replaced your boot disc, I
think you would do well to follow another Chuck recommendation -
Syncback. It's an Oz production, has a free version, but I use the Pro
version running in background to backup everything, open files and
all.
I presently use SyncBackSE because I hadn't seen any reason to use the
Pro version... until now.  I just noticed that the Pro version provides
"Automatic drive failure detection: checks for drive warnings or failure
using S.M.A.R.T. (recorded in log file)"  Important as you'll see a bit
further on.

I think SyncBack is a superp piece of software.  It's easy to setup and
use and just works.  It creates excellent log files that let you know
exactly what's going on.  It has many backup options but the only one I
use is called "mirroring".  In SyncBack parlance the input is considered
to be on the left and the output is on the right.  "Mirror right" (what
I use) makes the backup copy (right) a mirror image of the input (left)
by copying what's new on the input and deleting what no longer exists on
the input.  With that method there's the possibility that you would lose
something that you had accidentally deleted in the source data (left).
To mitigate that circumstance I keep three copies of backup drives and
rotate them around.  One is also stored other than in the house in case
of fire.  If I discover two weeks after the fact that I accidentally
deleted something (which has never happened) it will likely still be
found on the previous backup disk.

But one thing SyncBack *doesn't do* is make clone drives.  The SE and
Pro levels can copy open files but that does not include boot records
which are not files.  That's why I also used Acronis TrueImage but for
it's clone creation capability, nothing else.  All else goes to SyncBack
and especially my photo files.

But more on Acronis.  I do not use it any more.  I originally bought
version 9.0 for $10 from a surplus store since it was already a few
years out of date.  Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any version later
than version 9.0.  Searching on Acronis on the web will lead to many,
many tales of woe from people who used later levels of Acronis which
caused them to lose data or have other problems.  Version 9.0 was fine
for cloning using XP but when I moved to Win7 64-bit I decided to move
to something else.

What I would recommend for Windows cloning today is "Image for Windows".
<http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm>
This is also an excellent piece of software for under $40.  Not quite as
easy to use as Acronis (because it's more sophisticated) but Image for
Windows adds verification of the copy which (IIRC) Acronis did not do.
When I first started running Image for Windows I was extremely surprised
to discover that most (not all) of my attempts to create a clone were
failing because the copy couldn't pass the verification (optional by the
way).  What I finally discovered was that my almost new 1TB drive that I
was using for cloning was producing enough errors to cause failure most
of the time.  I bought another drive and the problems went away.  The
developer also responds to email questions.

I also bought a copy of their Boot It Bare Metal but haven't had
occasion to use it.  That one's not for the everyone.

Anyhow, my recommendations no longer include Acronis unless it's version
9 used on XP.

Chuck Norcutt