[OM] (Fwd) (OM) OT PC backup programs

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) (OM) OT PC backup programs
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 22:27:03 +1200
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice. 4 hours ago I bought a WD "My Passport" 750 GB
portable sata hard drive for just under $100NZ, and I found features I was
not ready for.

Communication with the computer is via USB 2 and/or USB 3 to provide
power and data transfer.

I have downloaded all 155MB of the latest Acronis True Image
Acronis True Image WD Edition Software version 14192

Doesn't seem to have a price attached to it. I'm not sure if it will do backups
on demand or even concurrent backups.

The "My Passport" drive info says it has
"Automatic, continuous backup WD SmartWare automatic backup
software works quietly in the background to help protect your data using
minimal PC resources. Whenever you add or change a file, it´s instantly
backed up. "

I don't remember now why I bought the Rosewill RC-221 PCI Low Profile
Ready SATA Controller Card with 2 sata  ports.

Maybe that was the best option and I'd need a separate power supply.
Perhaps it's redundant for me now.

I'd never seen a USB 3 terminal before, but it looks about as wide as the
Sata ports - which I'd never seen before either - to take special notice of,
that is.

Can somebody please advise it the sata ports are different from USB 3
 ports, and maybe confirm / deny that the Rosewill card is not needed for the
present setup.

As it is now, it looks as though I should use
Acronis True Image WD Edition Software version 14192 to do the initial
backup, then use WD SmartWare automatic backup software for all future
backups 'on-the-fly'.

Comment direct to me at
bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
as well as the Group, will be appreciated. I'm on Digest and getting info
direct will put ne 12 hours ahead.

Much appreciated.

Brian Swale

A call for advice please.

I have noticed slightly increasing noise from my PC hard-drive lately,
and
have decided to get a stand-alone hard-drive for back-up. Also
sometimes
the PC baulks at starting as it should.

I haven't done this until now due to money considerations, but I think
the
time has come to take the next step.

I have installed a Newegg SATA controller card, obtained through the
help
of Chuck ( Newegg will not sell to New Zealand), so that part is
ready. I'm
running Windows XP. Dick Smith, an electronics retailer is just 7 km
distant.

Please advise what back-up / restore programs are recommended,
preferably which will do periodic additions to backup.

Many thanks.

Brian Swale

Brian Swale. Daytime phone +64 03 449 2277
  http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/
  http://www.brianswale.com
           Mobile    021 145 4249
73 Fache Street, Clyde 9330, New Zealand