Re: [OM] Computer Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Question
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 16:06:19 -0400
Thanks, Moose. All of that does make sense.  I've already ordered the
external case for the SSD drive and will try hooking it up to the eSata
port on my computer.  I planned to just put the LR catalog on there.
 There's no way it would hold my files which are in 18 3TB hard drives.  I
guess this will be an experiment to see if it makes any difference.  LR and
PS are not really slow unless I have several other things going on at the
same time.  It will be a long time before I can get another computer.   My
husband is overdue for a new one and I'll have to wait in line!

Tina

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/23/2013 11:49 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> > Computer Gurus -
> >
> > I read that to really speed up LR, I needed a Solid State Drive so I
> > ordered this one:
> >

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LI7CTY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
> >
> > I thought it would be an external drive that I could hook up to USB but
> > it's not!
>
> You have fallen into part of the same trap Brian just encountered.
>
> You have confabulated different things.
>
>     1. SATA and USB are fundamentally different, with different connectors
> and different ways of communicating through
>     those connectors.
>
>         a. SATA was developed as a way to connect internal drives to the
> motherboard. It may also be implemented through
>         an adapter card that connects to the motherboard data bus.
> However, that may or may not be as fast as direct
>         connections designed into the motherboard.
>
>         So far, SATA has come in three speed categories, SATA (I), SATA II
> and SATA III. The speed must be implemented
>         on both ends of the cable. Your computer most likely has the
> original SATA. You may attach a SATA III like the
>         one bought, and it will work, but at the lower transfer speed.
>
>         b. eSATA (external SATA) was developed as a way to connect drives
> outside the computer box at internal
>         connection speeds. In its simplest form, as I use it, it is as
> connector(s) that goes in the back opening(s) of
>         the computer and plugs into a SATA outlet on the motherboard.
> There is then a physically different cable that
>         connects to it and to an external drive holder with appropriate
> connector.
>
>         Electrically, the computer simply sees another internal drive.
> With a SATA drive, connection speed is the same.
>         I don't know enough about specs, but have seen cables advertised
> as for SATA III. It is not only possible, but
>         likely, that some eSATA connectors and/or cables and most or all
> current external eSATA drive holders will not
>         support full SATA III speeds.
>
>         c. Some 3.5" external drives with separate power supplies come
> with eSATA connections. I have a WD My Book 1TB
>         drive that connects that way, as well as a Thermaltake 'toaster'
> as just described by Chuck and another external
>         drive enclosure with eSATA. The toaster accommodates both 2.5" and
> 3.5" drives.
>
>         d. USB was developed as a way to connect almost any sort of
> external device to computers. Although there were
>         prior, slower versions, you almost certainly have USB 2.0 HS
> connections. They are perfectly good for many, many
>         devices, and not bad for modest HD volume connections, but wholly
> useless for what you are trying to do.
>
>         USB 2.0 HS is fine for copying files from SD cards to a portable
> HD, terrible for editing files on main computer.
>
>         Chuck has already covered USB 3.0. it's just not ready for prime
> time for folks like me and you.
>
>         Most 2.5" external drives and enclosures, such as your drive would
> [...]

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com