[OM] OT. SSDrive

Subject: [OM] OT. SSDrive
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 00:27:51 +0100 (BST)
Hi all,
           Some observations regarding Solid State Drives. As well as my IMacI
use a Dell 17" studio laptop. Over time the performance of my laptop slowed to
a crawl. It frequently froze during boot up as well as during normal use. I was
on the point of ditching it but realised that it had not had that much use. The
master plan was to buy a 260Gb SSD to use as primary drive and swap the
existing Hard Drive to an external drive, along with an upgrade from Vista to
Windows 7 64 bit.
On opening the machine I found that there was already a spare drive bay so the
plan was modified.I copied all the information and photo files I wanted to keep
onto a spare hard drive. I then swapped the SSD for the existing Hard Drive and
installed Windows 7. (my previous operating system was VISA...Arghhhh !) I then
re-installed my original hard drive into the spare slot and formatted it.
The machine now runs much faster, less than 1min. boot up as opposed to the
previous 5-6min. and with no hangups or blue screens of death! A reliable
Windows machine! Processing is also much faster.
How much of this is down to the SSD and how much is due to the Windows 64 bit
operating system I am not sure but it works for me. The only minor quibble is
that my Phillips Toucam and usb microscope will no longer work as they are not
supported by windows 64 bit. I am sure that I will find some other programs are
not supported, but overall I am very pleased with the outcome. It is in effect
a new machine for a modest outlay.

Regards
John Duggan,
Wales, UK