Re: [OM] Computer Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Question
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:10:39 -0700
>   What I want to do is put only the LR catalog on the SSD drive.  Does that
> make sense at all?
>
> TIA
>
> Tina
No, not really. (unless you have deep pockets) Your catalogue can be on
a large, say 2tb drive. Preferably 2 for backup.  The main speed gain
would be with an SSD primary drive with SSD PS cache.
> There is an external plug on the side of my laptop labeled eSata.  Can I
> plug the external drive in there?
Yes, if the enclosure allows eSATA connections and must have its own
power supply. But it is most certainly only SATA1 so you lose _at least_
half the potential speed of the drive that you purchased.

> As above, the purpose is largely or wholly defeated either with internal or
> external connections. Real speed comes with
> a new computer with native SATA III on the motherboard, SSD SATA III primary
> disk and perhaps a small, separate SSD for
> cache (at least for PS).
> Return it and save the money toward a new computer with SATA III and an SSD
> primary(boot) drive.

What the Moose said

With what you already have: Clone everything to the new SSD and install
it in your computer as the main OS drive. You can use your new enclosure
to facilitate this. Reserve a section for PS. Create a new partition if
you wish as the SSD that your purchased is big enough. Use your new
external enclosure with a standard backup drive.
> I got this one:
Worthless for your application IMHO. Sorry. And too small for a standard
drive. You could put in a large 2.5" drive to use for photo backups
while traveling.

Mike