Re: [OM] IMGs: San Francisco Carnival

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: San Francisco Carnival
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:05:51 -0700
On 5/27/2013 4:55 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Behind Bars and Look. Very nice.

Indeed. An enjoyable visit.
----------------
"Pain is mandatory, Suffering is optional" is the whole quote, attributed to
the Dalai Lama. I don't know if he actually
originated it. “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” is attributed to
Haruki Murakami and other versions are around.

I used just the last half for years in talks, with clients, etc., thinking it
original to me. I preferred the shock
value of the single phrase as a lead-in to the subject.

Then the wonderful Cheri Huber wrote one of her pithy little Zen books,
"Suffering Is Optional: Three Keys to Freedom
and Joy", and I discovered the attribution to the Dalai Lama.

Don't you hate it when famous people steal your material? ;-)

Optimal Moose