[OM] (OM) OT I forget the subject used by Bob W

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT I forget the subject used by Bob W
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 01:05:43 +1200
I'm about up to -! here with some browsers !!

I've hated MS Internet Exploder since I don't know when, mainly because it
always seemed to be trying to control me, and I have uninstalled it as far as
I seem to be able to.
Older versions of Opera are very fast and generally do exactly as asked, but
can't handle the code used by some sites, such as facebook; and I am given
to understand they pose some kind of security risk.  So I try and use them
judiciously.

Mozilla seems to spend much of its time trying to second-guess my
intentions especially when navigating around my computer directories, and
so wastes a huge amount of my time while it makes the computer hang.
Chrome, which I use very little, seems to do something the same. I see it
uses streaming updates, which is possibly all the near continuous uploading
and downloading when I'm using broadband, and which slows things to a
crawl.
Sometimes in a fit of frustration I just pull the broadband plug out in the
hope
I break something. I think that works because I don't seem to see a repeat
of that activity for a while. If I click "disconnect" it takes forever, and I
suspect it is just tidying up its affairs while it thinks about disconnecting.

I have killed many of the auto-updates that I don't think are of significance,
using Bob P's excellent program.

Bob mentioned Safari as a good ( only? ) alternative. I think I'll give that a
shot.

Avast and Malwarebytes  reveal nothing sinister on my machine, but I'm not
totally convinced that there is nothing sinister taking place. I wonder if my
machine sometimes has been taken over by someone using it for other
purposes - there is such a high packet-count going both ways - in and out.

If I switch to dialup, most of the nonsense stops. But it takes forever then to
view your images on many of the web-sites used; there is such a large
overhead cost in the form of clever-clogs code.

At last that's off my chest. !

Brian Swale.