Re: [OM] Wiki camera advice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wiki camera advice?
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 20:54:04 +0200
Hi Sandy

I don't agree with this very confusing sentence

" For a high-end digital SLR this might be in the range of 18-70mm;
for a 35mm SLR 28-100mm would be equivalent. "

High end D-SLRs are eq to 35mm - I think only the Leica S line are
larger than 35mm SLR - else they are prosumer cams.

PANOS    I usually use a 50 or a longer lens for panos - panos are
meant to respect perspective, which a 24mm won't. Shoot more frames
and that's it. 35 mm seems to be the lower limit for distortion AND
stitching.

Other than this, I don't think many people still hesitate between a
film or a digital camera, whatever the format.
Those still using film must already be aware of what you recommend.
Only newbies need advice and will probably select digital.
So perhaps this part could be shorter?

When weight is not an issue, my best tip is to take two bodies, just
in case, this depending on the country you're visting. A broken lens
can be replaced by a makeshift SH one. Finding a new body is trickier.

Theft: hotel rooms are not always that safe - and if you never quit
your camera don't leave it on the table while sitting on the terrasse
of a café or restaurant, this unless you won the 110 hurdles at the
last olympics ;-)

Bag: a (possibly photo) backpack is ideal as soon as you really intend
to walk/hike and visit places.

Spare batteries and cards are essential: I was once visiting India
during the monsoon season and my new battery failed due to dampness.
At that time camera batteries were unavailable on the Indian market. I
was lucky enough to be given one by a fellow citizen who was flying
back the next day.
Once bitten, twice overequipped.

Nice and helpful job :-)

Amitiés
Philippe

Le 30 mai 13 à 20:13, Sandy Harris a écrit :

> Would anyone here care to take a look at some online advice on
> photography?
>
> http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Travel_photography
> http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Northern_Lights#Photography
>
> That is an open wiki so if you see something that could be improved,
> you are free to just edit it. Alternately, you can comment here if it
> is likely to be of general interest or reply to me off-list if not.
>
> --
> Who put a stop payment on my reality check?
> --

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.
NO ARCHIVE