Re: [OM] (OM) Venerable vehicle

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Venerable vehicle
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 23:50:44 +1200
Martin W wrote;

> 1983 Toyota Starlet, I think.
>
> Martin

Martin got it!  They were very popular, not least with the boy-racer
fraternity.
Still are, with some.

I am given to understand there are only 250 left in the UK now.
There are at least 5 including mine in this small district. One that looks like
mine but which is not the Sprint model, is in extremely good condition.
This is the third of these I have been associated with.
Some of you may remember the trip I did to Okarito at LEAST 12 years ago
and of which I posted photos. That was in the caramel-coloured Sprint that
my sister gave my daughter. That one was written off when a careless driver
in a much bigger vehicle clipped the front ..

Then I bought a silver one which had been somewhat modified - Corolla
1300cc motor and box replaced the 1000 original motor. I sold that about 2
years ago for $620 by auction - and it was in a clearly advertised rusty state.

Next this one which I bought for $350, and after a few 500 km trips to central
Otago from Chch I decided to have the pistons and valves looked at. Turned
out it had 2 cracked pistons and other faults. So I had it reconditioned for
$3500.  I'm happy with it. If I'm careful with it, it could easily see me out.

Its current market value on Trademe exceeds $1000.

It still needs work from time to time, but so do I !!.  It doesn't cost as much
for repairs as my partner's 1996 Beemer 2L 6.

Brian Swale.