Re: [OM] (OM) OT (very) Vehicle

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT (very) Vehicle
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 00:46:30 +1200
Chris B and Piers wrote;

> Indeed, Brian.  We should be told . . .
>
> Chris
>
> On 1 Jun 2013, at 10:40, "piers@xxxxxxxx" <piers.hemy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > And what inference are we to draw from the lack of Range Rover images?

Yes, the Starlet still runs and well. Just had issues with a new starter motor
not engaging 100% of the time first click, but now I think that was due to the
battery charge being a bit low. It goes in for it's 6-monthly Warrant Of
Fitness check on Wednesday and I expect it to pass. Then I'll be mobile with
my own vehicle rather than relying on my partner's Beemer or Mazda
Presso

I have tidied up all the bits I can see which 'could' count against it passing
the WOF test. ( I'm quite good with anti-rust, body filler, and paint. Living
by
the sea at Sumner was not kind to parts of it).
It's got 4 good tyres, new wheel bearings all around, refurbished distributor,
re-con alternator, new starter motor.

I can't get a WOF for the Range Rover at the moment because the damned
air suspension has failed again, (about a year ago), about 50,000km after
being replaced (valve block and compressor).

At the present time partner and I own two residential properties. We have
been trying to sell one for about 3 years now, with no success.  See

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=564484201

Currently it is priced at least $50,000 too low. Still no takers, but that is
to be
expected in winter now ...  Sale ends soon.

We have a mortgage of $200,000 to keep us where we live at present, with
that property as surety, and the monthly mortgage payment of just under
$1300 which I pay just makes it impossible to do anything expensive. We do
have the property rented out to good tenants.

But its not all bad.  I chatted up a real estate lady who has a RR similar to
mine and I asked her about the suspension. She revealed that the air
suspension had been replaced before she bought it, with coil suspension.
Aha thought me, and I tracked down the previous owner.
He thought the coil suspension was pretty good.

Next stop the used car sales yard owner who told me he thought the
performance of the coil springs was nothing nearly as good as the air
springs. I believe him.
However, he came up with some gems of information. There are a couple of
non-agent garages in this district who do the sort of repairs I need and had
been getting done at the official RRagents. And their fees are about half the
cost of the equivalent work at the agents.  I had no prior knowledge of them.

Agents replacement of 1) the valve block and 2) the compressor would
come to $2000 - 3000.

As soon as that house is sold I should have 1200 a month extra to play
with.which will see the RR fixed.
I have the Road Registration on 'hold' meantime - I can start that again any
time. So I must not run it on the roads. It still runs fine, apart from the
suspension being on the bump stops.

I can still do the coil springs option. There are coil springs kits all over
the
place - Google them. I will decide when the time is right.

I need the RR to tow my boat.

People say to me, "why don't you get rid of the RR and get another 4x4?".
Well, I don't have the folding stuff.
And, if, as they say, the RR is worthless - my retort is - OK then, I fix the
suspension, and for $2000 I have a pretty capable 4x4 that would be
impossible to source otherwise at that sort of money..

I have some experience at being between a rock and a hard place. IMHO.

Brian Swale