Re: [OM] IMG: Speaking of Dragonflies

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Speaking of Dragonflies
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 08:00:53 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>On 5/29/2013 10:11 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>> I was out hiking a slightly remote area today to take care of some
>> USFS volunteer work.  Along the way I spotted a colour that just did
>> not fit in with the grey branches and twigs of a tree I was passing.
>> Looking closer I found that it was a reddish dragonfly.  I took some
>> quick photos, then changed to the Vivitar TX 75-260 and the pistol
>> grip for a closer look and better control.  About a quater of the
>> photos came out well, and this seems to be the best of them:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8884950381/
>>

>Well done.

     Thank you.  It's another example of how useful that old Vivitar TX
75-260/4.5 lens can be.  It's a bit heavier than newer ones, but the tripod
ring is very close to the centre of gravity so that when the pistol grip is
added it's nicely balanced and combined with the weight it's pretty stable for
hand-held photos like this.

     I have one of the earlier T4 models, and recently found one with a fixed
O/OM mount.  It's one of the few lenses that survived the end of the TX series,
together with the 35-105/3.5, which is also a bit on the hefty side but a good
performer and also marketed by Hoya.

Chris