Re: [OM] Comments on Halos & In-Camera Sharpening

Subject: Re: [OM] Comments on Halos & In-Camera Sharpening
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 21:58:11 -0700
On 6/3/2013 12:26 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> There were two interesting threads yesterday that I wished to investigate.
> Moose discussed halos, and someone mentioned in-camera sharpening with the
> E-3.
>
> I went into my E-1 menu and reset the in-camera sharpening from "0" to "2".
> I went outside and took several images.  What I saw led me to believe that my
> work flow, using Elements 11, did not benefit from the in-camera sharpening.
> Perhaps Olympus software handles it differently.  What I did note was that
> the halo around the leaf in this image was definitely noticeable, with no
> sharpening in post-processing.

> I then reset the in-camera sharpening to "0" and tried to repeat the image.
> The lighting had changed somewhat, but the resulting image was better, and
> the halo was less noticeable.  I decided I will not use in-camera sharpening,
> because I feel I can do a better job in post-processing.  Here is the image.

None of the in-camera image settings have any effect if, as you do, you use Raw
conversion and editing via PSE. They
will only effect Raw conversions if you use the Oly software, and then only if
you use its option to emulate the JPEG
settings.

The difference between the two images appears to me to be simply missed focus
and underexposure in the first, the
underexposure due at least in part due to the larger amount of bright cloud in
it.

As to the halo, look at the image without any adjustment at all in ACR/Raw
conversion and PSE. It is most likely a
result of PSE adjustments other than sharpening. Clarity can do it, as may
boosting shadows, depending on how PSE does
that. Less halo on the second probably is because it required less of the/those
adjustment(s) that tend(s) to produce halos.

Unaffected Moose