Re: [OM] Imagescience Computer Recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Imagescience Computer Recommendation
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:19:10 +0800
I just upgraded my Core 2 2.88GHz (overclocked from a 2.4GHz E4600) 4G RAM
machine to E3-1230V2 at around $400. The upgraded parts are:

Intel E3-1230V2 (4 core 8 thread)
Adata 4Gx2 1600 CL-9
Asrock Z77 Pro 4

If you are not into overclock and uses add on video card I would recommend
the Xeon E-3. It is same as the i7 without GPU, the cost is lower. As to
video card, I never belive it gives heavy boost on PS speed. But it seems
that CS6 do use the GPU more but I can't find the boost performance data
yet. If you have CS6 you can try to enable/disable the GPU to find any speed
improvement.

If I'm going to spend a little more, I will invest on system RAM rather than
SSD. System RAM is ten times faster than SSD. For a 16GB machine just leave
8GB for sysetm use and the rest 8GB set to RAMDISK for PS cache.

Actually, I didn't have any pressure on image editing with my 6 year old
core 2 machine. For image file of ~100MB, most PS actions took only 1-2
seconds. I upgrade the computer only for HD video editing, it even can't
gives smooth playback under my image editing programs with the video
acceleration enabled. I'm so regret having invested on a 192 CUDA core
GTS-450 two years ago, I expected I can do HD editing without upgrading the
CPU as the editing program mentioned CUDA acceleration can improve the
performance a lot.

C.H.Ling