Re: [OM] Image Editing System

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Editing System
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:37:23 -0700
On 6/7/2013 10:44 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Dell has not answered in spite of repeated chats and requests for quotes.
>   Lenovo does not have the parts I want.  Any suggestions on where to get a
> computer built?

avadirect.com appears to do this. I know nothing about them but what I see on
their site from a search.

> I really can't do this myself.  Here are the components
> suggested by the Australian site:
>
> Intel i7-3930K Core i7 CPU, Six Core 3.20 GHz
>
> Motherboard:  ASUS X79/8 X DDR 3/4 X PCI-E3.0 X 16/4 X SATA 3/8 X USB 3.0/2
> X GBLAN/RAID/WIFI/ATXX P9X79-DELUXE

This will all change shortly. Intel has released their next generation of
processors. They use a different socket. So
those who recommend the latest, most powerful, bestest, will be changing their
recommendations.

I'm not at all sure six cores will add anything noticeable to PS use. As you do
not seem to be someone who is likely to
play with overclocking, the 'k' suffix processors may be just more money for
nothing.

> RAM Size:  32 GB Corsair (4x8GB) 1600 MHz DDR3  (Expandable to 64GB)

I don't know about the motherboard above. Most provide four memory sockets. If
they are filled with four 8GB modules,
"expandable to 64 GB" would mean buying all new memory. I find it hard to
believe that you, or I, will find 32 GB
insufficient before needing an upgrade for other reasons. Still, if you want
the option, pay a bit more for now two 16
GB memory modules.

> Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Combo Drive

Unless you plan to play blu-ray movies, this may be overkill, but adds very few
$.

> Windows SSD Size:  250GB Samsung SSD

Yup, although last reviews I read led me toward Crucial M500 SSDs.

> Scratch SSD Size:  128GB Samsung SSD

I'm beginning to think this is likely unnecessary, and less than ideal. As CH
has pointed out, RAM is much faster than
an SSD. 32 GB of RAM, with 8 GB used as a RAM scratch disk, and the rest
available as direct memory to PS is likely faster.

> Working Projects SSD Size: 250GB Samsung SSD

I already have my 128 GB Crucial M4. I just don't see myself needing 250 GB for
current work.

> Storage Drive Size:  3TB Seagate Barracuda - ST3000DM0001

I have two of these. One holds all my digital camera images. The other is
synced as a back-up. My scans, infinitely
fewer than yours, are on a separate, external, eSATA drive and back-up drive.

For general use secondary disk, I'm leaning toward a WD Caviar Black 1 TB.
Although no physical disk can likely keep up
with SATA III, one designed for it is likely to be more responsive and one
designed for heavier use may be more reliable.

> Video Card:  ATI PCIe FirePro V4800 1024MB - support for two monitors

This is interesting. The gamers, in particular, and most hardware nerds, most
of whom are also gamers, get all worked up
about video cards. The just current Intel processors with integrated video are
approved by Adobe for GPU use in PS. The
new ones just released have improved GPU from that.

I'm thinking of going with an i7-4770 (perhaps the 'k' version for me) with 32
GB of RAM and no additional video card.
PS just doesn't need gaming speed, just competent 3D scrolling, and such, which
it appears the Intels have.

Depends in part on what motherboards cost. As CH pointed out, there are very
capable motherboards for the last
generation available for around $100. As with video cards, the features the
premium mother boards add are mostly
irrelevant to the PS user. I think an i7-3770k with AS Rock board will scream
running PS with SSDs.

> Power Supply: 850W Seasonic S12D Power Supply PSUSEAG12-D850W
>
> Cooler:  Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance CPU Cooler
>
> Case: Cooler Master Centurion 6 Case W/500W PSU

As above, all this is overkill for any use but gaming. The new processors use
less power than the old, SSDs use less
power than HDs. 500W with a large, quiet, ball bearing fan is mucho plenty.

> System Software: Microsoft Windows 8 Profession - 64 bit

Windows 8 is driving a lot of folks running desktops crazy. It adds all sorts
of stuff for tablets, social networking,
and so on. Young persons and gamers love this stuff. Some folks hate it.

Take a look at the features of the different versions of Windoze. A bit of MS
rapaciousness here, as W7 Home Premium has
everything I need - but only supports 16 GB of physical memory. And an upgrade
costs significantly more than an upgrade
to W8 Pro, which supports 128 GB.

Equipment Moose