Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 22: testing / the X-Pro 1 landsinAlicante

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 22: testing / the X-Pro 1 landsinAlicante
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 19:23:09 -0700
On 6/8/2013 6:37 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> [...]

I believe that Adobe is willing to infer color values for a blown channel based
on nearby pixels with similar values for
the other two channels and a valid value for the third channel. It's a tricky
thing to do, but whoever wrote the
algorithms was/is very good.

The camera makers seem loathe to infer any color values. DPP does a little
recovery, which I assume is only pulling down
the highest values that aren't at max. Viewer seems to take the position "You
blew it, live with it."

There's an excellent comparison of DPP and ACR in the 5D review on dpreview at
the bottom of this page.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/23>

> I do use ACR for the
> images with blown highlight on the subject but I seldom use to recover non
> relevant backgrounds, it could make the image unnatual and lost
> concentration.

I sometimes do try recovering background, because a bright background tends to
pull the eye away from some subjects.
It's a delicate thing to do without looking wrong.

> BTW, I try to under expose my images by 1/3 to 2/3 stop so I don't need
> highlight recover much.

Yes, my standard settings is EV -2/3, but I still manage to blow some
highlights. ;-) When I can - and think to do so -
I bracket further down where there are bright elements in a high DR subject.
But some subjects and light are evanescent,
and I don't get a second chance.

Over Blown Moose