Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 23: medieval market, department day out, cycl

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 23: medieval market, department day out, cycling...
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:23:49 -0500
On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Friday Night's was three hours late. Not nearly as bad as Saturday
> Night's six hour delay. Fortunately, I had the Friday one. But Amtrak
> could be mistaken for a third-world operation, so all is forgiven.
>
> Yes, I can actually drive home faster, but I don't get the opportunity
> to try and sleep on a seat where the padding is long since pressed to
> a quarter-inch thick, saturated with who knows what pathogens, next to
> somebody that you'll never want to cross paths with again.

I love trains, and would love to be able to take Amtrak on more trips, but
the limited schedule and significantly higher cost just kills it.

For example, if I could take the train from Chicago to Memphis easily and
inexpensively, I could spend much more time with my friend Jimi.  But the
only train option is the City Of New Orleans, and it's a 10-hour overnight
trip both ways, for $202.  That's for coach.  If I want a sleeper so I
don't have to try and sleep in a coach seat, it's $374 round-trip and it's
still 20 hours on a train.  That's one of the main things broken with our
train system.  It's not priced/structured to provide a good alternative to
air travel.  I can make the same trip from Chicago Midway to Memphis and
back for $220 round trip and it's a 1:43 flight.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard