Re: [OM] Image Editing System

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Editing System
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 02:25:13 -0700
On 6/11/2013 12:42 AM, SwissPace wrote:
> Without getting into the MAC/PC dispute again

And you are avoiding that how? :-)

> Maybe I should have
> quantified that, for non technically minded photographers or those who
> just want to get on with photography  then the mac is clearly a better
> choice. The main advantage to them is ease of use,

I don't see that, but I have different glasses on.

> My group wastes hours
> supporting our office users with their PC issues and they are usually
> silly issues, you don't get so many of those with mac users.

That's nice. I don't support other users, other than Carol. I don't feel I've
wasted any appreciable time by using
Windoze. I don't like it, I don't dislike it. It has run my machines reliably,
allowing me to just get on with what I'm
doing, including photography.

> I was not
> very impressed with the last two releases of osx, lion and mountain lion
> just didn't work for me and I didn't like the direction

"Vista was terrible, so I know the next version will be as bad or worse."
     But it was much better.

"Lion sucked, but the next one will be better"
    Not

>   but now apple
> listened and they have announced a machine and an upgrade to the os
> targetted mainly at pro video users but with the side benefit of
> improving it for photographers.

"Mountain Lion sucked, too, but they've said the next one will be great. I
believe them."

The copy is written by ad folks. Why not wait and see? Or do you work for Apple
or their ad agency?

As Andrew has reminded us, the last Mac to eschew boring physical design wasn't
quite a world beater.

> The improvement to multiple displays being for me of main interest
>
> Now if you are happy to dismantle your pc and swap cards cpu's,
> motherboards and add disks etc and generally like tinkering then you
> have the knowledge and the want to tinker a PC is fine

Yes, I can do it, although don't particularly like to, and very seldom have had
to.
> (for me I have
> enough of the damn things during the day) but if you want to just buy a
> box plug it in and have the best performance for minimum fuss as most
> professional photographers do

I'm sorry, it may not be true where you are, but here, equivalent performance
simply costs more from Apple. I don't have
unlimited funds. BTW, I don't buy from the big name PC vendors, either, for the
same reason.

>   and then be able to order from a shop a new harddrive and simply plug it in
> and get the speed then thunderbolt trounces sata esata etc..

Nope, can't agree. I've bought various HDs over the years I've had this
machine, FireWire, USB and (e)SATA. All have
simply worked by being plugged in. A Mac of the same age, 6-7 years, was no
faster on disk I/O. (Yes, I did just have to
replace the power supply. I was able to just drop in one from the predecessor
machine. Can you do that with a Mac?)

> I know its not for everyone but IF a photographer just starting out came
> and asked what machine should they buy, then be honest and neutral
> wouldn't you recommend to them a mac

I would first ask them about their existing computer experience and the
programs they use and like. I would then ask if
it was for their work and what that is. I don't think such folks are thick on
the ground here, if there are any at all.

For a PC user with important software that won't work native on a Mac (Moi, for
one), I'd suggest a PC. If they are in
one of those industries where a particular type is expected, I'd say go with
that. My graphic artist son is somewhat
reluctantly getting a Mac, 'cause people in his industry tend not take you
seriously unless your laptop has a lit apple
on the back when you meet with them.

> especially if they could wait until
> the fall when there will be a purpose built machine and os available,

I do LOVE your simple trust.

> but even now there is no anti virus to worry about, there are some
> fantastic pro apps in aperture and final cut and even Logic Pro to
> handle their video and photographic needs as well as access to the adobe
> suite of tools, its easy to migrate to different hardware when necessary
> (yes you can clone a pc drive but its not as easy)

Really? I just did that, and it's pretty darn simple. Worked first time without
a hitch. Cloned disk booted and I've
been using it since. What else is there?

> , the backups and more important recovery is very easy with no extra software
> required.
>
> I will say that its not the best for some BUT for Tina who admits to
> being non technical and wanting a machine with warranty etc.. then I
> honestly think that for her it would be worth moving to a mac, and even
> better if she could wait for the new mac pro and os maverick.

Why should she change, when she just doesn't want to, based on actual use of a
Mac for photography related work? (PCs
come with warranties, too, OMG!)

As above, I just don't care what people use. The more time passes, the more
they become largely interchangeable. Once in LR and PS, I don't imagine there
is any difference.

I just don't see why there seems to be a need to bang on people who have made
an informed decision and are happy with it to change.

If someone gave me the new superMac, I would probably at least try it, but I
sure can't see the point of paying more money for equal performance on
something that will have a learning curve, require acquiring lots of new
software and retaining my PC for programming consulting work.**

I'm not anti-Apple, I have an iPhone and Carol has an iPad I bought for her,
excellent thingies.*** I just don't see any upside for me in switching computer
systems.

Don't Tread On Me Moose

* Both have been fine for me; I've had not a bit of trouble with Vista - but
clearly I'm weird.

** The $ don't amount to anything now, but that's my code out there working in
the world, and I like to support it.
They're upgrading to Win7 company wide. My programs are fine with that, but
some ancillary data update stuff needs updating.

*** And, be still my heart, Apple has announced a new iOS - for the fall. You
know, when companies start announcing
vaporware for months in the future, it usually means sales aren't going where
they want, and they'd like to forestall a
few folks from buying what's available already from the competition.

If an OS is ready now, why isn't it available now? If it isn't ready yet, how
can they, let alone we, know how well it
will work? If hardware is announced, but not available, it means one of two
things:

It's ready, but we have to clear the retail channel of more of the old stuff.
Usually a stupid mistake made by bean
counters.

It's not ready yet. We hope, are sort of sure, that we'll have it ready to go
in time, and the production models will be
fine - but we can't really know now.