Re: [OM] Image Editing System

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Editing System
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:30:58 +0200
On 11/06/2013 11:25, Moose wrote:
> On 6/11/2013 12:42 AM, SwissPace wrote:
>> Without getting into the MAC/PC dispute again
> And you are avoiding that how? :-)

By quantifying that my statement was aimed at non technical users and
now by not replying further :-)
> "Mountain Lion sucked, too, but they've said the next one will be great. I
> believe them."
>
> The copy is written by ad folks. Why not wait and see? Or do you work for
> Apple or their ad agency?
well I could get a copy now, if I register on the developer channel and
no I am totally neutral. I never said they sucked I just said that as a
photographic user which I am at home that  I didn't like the direction
they were going.

> As Andrew has reminded us, the last Mac to eschew boring physical design
> wasn't quite a world beater.

Yes but they learnt from that  the newton developed into the ipad and look at
the iphone, macbook air etc.. admittedly they have not done much for the pro
user apart from to my mind the excellent macbook pro's.

>> (for me I have
>> enough of the damn things during the day) but if you want to just buy a
>> box plug it in and have the best performance for minimum fuss as most
>> professional photographers do
> I'm sorry, it may not be true where you are, but here, equivalent performance
> simply costs more from Apple. I don't have
> unlimited funds. BTW, I don't buy from the big name PC vendors, either, for
> the same reason.
I never mentioned costs as they weren't mentioned by Tina

>>    and then be able to order from a shop a new harddrive and simply plug it
>> in and get the speed then thunderbolt trounces sata esata etc..
> Nope, can't agree. I've bought various HDs over the years I've had this
> machine, FireWire, USB and (e)SATA. All have
> simply worked by being plugged in. A Mac of the same age, 6-7 years, was no
> faster on disk I/O. (Yes, I did just have to
> replace the power supply. I was able to just drop in one from the predecessor
> machine. Can you do that with a Mac?)

well I could swap a power supply but then I am a technical person like
yourself.

>> I know its not for everyone but IF a photographer just starting out came
>> and asked what machine should they buy, then be honest and neutral
>> wouldn't you recommend to them a mac
> I would first ask them about their existing computer experience and the
> programs they use and like. I would then ask if
> it was for their work and what that is. I don't think such folks are thick on
> the ground here, if there are any at all.

Surely you ask what someone wants to do and then recommend the best system I
personally think though that the step from XP to Vista was no smaller than XP
to Mac OSX.

to quote AG from another topic

"The problem is that as we become old geezers, we get set in our ways.
The number of people who are totally stuck on Photoshop because of old
age is mind-boggling. It's these same people who think they are being
all modern and everything, but they're still using software that dates
back to the Reagan Administration."

I knwo I am getting more resistant to change as I get older mainly
because I don't see the point if I go back to bicycle analogy, I have an
adobe one, I can't ride it yet because I never learnt to do that so I
just push it and get on now and again to freewheel downhill :-) but life
will be so much better once I have learnt to ride it, maybe a little
effort reaps a great reward

> (yes you can clone a pc drive but its not as easy)
> Really? I just did that, and it's pretty darn simple. Worked first time
> without a hitch. Cloned disk booted and I've
> been using it since. What else is there?
Yes but that's a very capable you and I admit its got easier now but
could my mum do it, It really is that simple with OSX.
> Why should she change, when she just doesn't want to, based on actual use of
> a Mac for photography related work? (PCs
> come with warranties, too, OMG!)
No one should change if they don't want to I was just suggesting she
reconsider, I know PC-s have warranties but do microsoft specifically
design a PC for such work, please point Tina to a ready built PC of the
same spec she can order online. you can get cobbled together gaming pc's
etc you can of course build your own but who targets professional
photographers with a properly designed PC. The post started with a
suggestion for an ideal PC and lo and behold yesterday Apple announced
such a machine  I genuinely think that if Tina can learn to scan
properly then she would have no problem switching to a mac certainly
nothing that an hours introduction wouldn't solve. I would have
suggested if she was so adverse to OSX then she installs windows on it
(although I found issues with this on a macmini) our 10 training imacs
have just that and seem to function ok)

> I'm not anti-Apple, I have an iPhone and Carol has an iPad I bought for her,
> excellent thingies.*** I just don't see any upside for me in switching
> computer systems.
and me either I never suggested you should switch BUT I do think Tina
should give it another try, you are a highly competent PC user Tina is
not, Bob converted and he is happy he did as are many others - Out of
curiosity has anyone has switched back to using a PC after using a MAC
for a while.

> Don't Tread On Me Moose
wouldn't dare :-)

> * Both have been fine for me; I've had not a bit of trouble with Vista - but
> clearly I'm weird.

I also didn't think Vista was as bad as the press it got.

> ** The $ don't amount to anything now, but that's my code out there working
> in the world, and I like to support it.
> They're upgrading to Win7 company wide. My programs are fine with that, but
> some ancillary data update stuff needs updating.
and not upgrading to windows 8 ?  its funny but we aren't doing that either.

> *** And, be still my heart, Apple has announced a new iOS - for the fall. You
> know, when companies start announcing
> vaporware for months in the future, it usually means sales aren't going where
> they want, and they'd like to forestall a
> few folks from buying what's available already from the competition.
see below

> If an OS is ready now, why isn't it available now? If it isn't ready yet, how
> can they, let alone we, know how well it
> will work? If hardware is announced, but not available, it means one of two
> things:
>
> It's ready, but we have to clear the retail channel of more of the old stuff.
> Usually a stupid mistake made by bean
> counters.
>
> It's not ready yet. We hope, are sort of sure, that we'll have it ready to go
> in time, and the production models will be
> fine - but we can't really know now.
it was announced at the developer conference both IOS 7 and the new OSX
and is available to developers now to start developing applications and
accessories. You could register as a developer and get a copy today if
you wish, isn't that the best way to deliver code so that the first
general release has fewer bugs and products and is more likely to just
work straight away. As for the hardware lets wait and see. It looks like
something I would like but until my macbook pro stops working or I start
doing video editing I will not be able to justify it.

Just as some think the OMD is the bees knees and others the X-Pro1 or la
eica not every system is correct for everyone, I was making a
recommendation, believe it or not, totally unbiased for Tina based on
the new information from apple yesterday and my experience of supporting
PC and MAC users over the years some have been very technically minded
some not technical at all.

I did realise though that sometimes such things do seem to be getting to
a "religious" level where one is convinced their "religion" is the right
one, however I repeat I am neither a MAC lover or a PC hater I was
giving what I think is unbiased advice based on experience.

ianW