Re: [OM] Lens Suprise 14-42

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Suprise 14-42
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 08:04:32 -0600
> I had also tested this combo - together with the D vario on the Oly
> bodies - distortion and maybe sharpness? are fairly close indeed - the
> main difference is 2.8 IMHO. AND IOS ...

The D.vario has "issues" so it's not usuable. Bummer, because I did
like that lens a lot. The 14-54 is likely the very best lens in that
class, though.

I would have gone out last evening and tested it, but we were downwind
from the fire and the smoke was bothering me and the visibility wasn't
good.

I can tell that the distortion is a bit higher than what I'm used to.
It isn't a bright lens, by any means, but at the apertures I normally
shoot at, it seems plenty sharp and usable. There is something else
I've noticed--the weight/balance of the lens is such that the L1 is
more stable and it looks like I'm picking up a full stop of stabilty
over what I'm used to. If this holds to be true, it won't be
insignificant.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx