[OM] Image Editing System

Subject: [OM] Image Editing System
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:35:16 -0400 (EDT)
CH writes:

>>>I don't know the technical details, but here is the disk benchmarks,
the
>>>last one "This computer" is my 4GB ramdisk.

>>http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/Disktest.jpg

A little slower than I have expected, only 5.7 times faster than the
Intel
SSD.

I use VSuite Ramdisk Free version

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/vsuite-ramdisk/download.html

It can use XP 32 bit non accessable RAM and up to 4GB in size. My
Asrock Z77
MB came with a free Win 7 XFast RAM, which should be able to run a
larger
disk.

BTW, it is all depends on you budget, of couse it is good to have 32GB
RAM
(still, I will use half for ramdisk), SSD for system boot and W7 64.
But I
don't want to spend extra on SSD and Win 7 at the moment.

Cool software, thanks for mentioning. Makes perfect sense to use the
extra RAM inaccessible to use by the system otherwise for a RAM disk. I
would worry about volatile memory when going into hibernate mode
etc--free version may not write it to disk. With win 7, why wouldn't PS
just take advantage of all the system RAM first as long as there are no
memory hog programs running? Is it clear PS is faster with a large RAM
disk as scratch file vs 32 GB of system RAM?
That might be true but would surprise me a bit. Haven't even played
with RAMdisks in well over half a dozen years though. I vagely recall
nested complexities that gave me trouble though your software may help
with those issues.

KISS principle applies? Mike