Re: [OM] (OM) Totally off-topic London UK rents

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Totally off-topic London UK rents
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 23:17:06 +1200
Chris B. wrote;

> Indeed, Brian.
>
> My son and his fianc?e have a one-bedroom flat south of the river which
> they could not afford to buy on joint salaries: she's a "key worker" so
> gets a shared ownership deal.
>
> Our students run up enormous debts during their university courses.
>
> But don't forget that salaries are (supposedly) quite a bit more in London
> than in NZ.
>
> Chris
>
> On 14 Jun 2013, at 00:12, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > How the other half lives; my son in London posted this advertisement
> > today ...
> >> Looking for a flatmate in Clapham Junction / Lavender Hill from the
> >> start of July. ?715 a month + about ?50 expenses. Massive room, heaps
> >> of storage and own bathroom
> > That ?715 comes to $1,387 in my money - more than the mortgage I'm
> > paying on half a $400,000 property !!
> >
> > I hope he's raking it in !!!

In their case, much depends on "how" they are making their money.

Eric is being paid a wage/salary, so his tax rate is quite high.
Philippa is somehow running her standalone business as an accountant /
something like that, and her tax rate is very much less.

I think she has a money plan ... my daughter told me that Pip would like to
have 5 children ...  They don't come cheap these days - if they ever did!

Brian Swale