[OM] Harris' Checkerspot

Subject: [OM] Harris' Checkerspot
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 23:01:08 -0400 (EDT)
Quick trip to a wet meadow area with the  MA chapter of NABA--(No Am
butterfly assoc AKA MA butterfly Club)--a 40 min drive to a new area
for me.   There were caterpillars of Baltimore Checkerspots but alas no
adults.  They are very showy and really special, IMO but perhaps out
soon.  We saw one bit aged Harris Checkerspot-- one person  took a shot
of everyone all circled around the poor critter  while we were shooting
away.  This was the only one we saw. This small bright butterfly was
named  in honor of Thaddeus W. Harris, who died in 1856. This
Checkerspot is a quintessential northern “wet meadow” butterfly and
really isn't all that common.  It should be a "species of conservation
concern"

http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/harris-checkerspot_files/image006.gif

Our area may be at the southern limit of the species may be withdrawing
northward due to climate change.

Oh, enough info, here is the critter from earlier today:

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2013/27352162_6bnt92#!i=2577065510&k=4J7Ht5H&lb=1&s=L

Checkered past and future,  Mike