[OM] Eye problems, the saga continues

Subject: [OM] Eye problems, the saga continues
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:56:22 -0700
My latest news:  My right eye (with the reattached retina) is getting
better all the time, still a little "milky" but sees OK.

BUT, I've had another problem, this time with my left eye. It lost sharp
vision in the center. Last week I practically freaked out when I
returned to work and discovered I couldn't read the computer screen,
because the right eye hadn't wasn't sharp enough yet, and the left eye
decided to go Lomo on me.

It turns out to be a rare complication from my cataract surgery two
months ago.  They did an OCT* scan of my retina, and it has a little
cone-shaped bump dead-center.  It's like somebody stretched the center
of the "film" towards the lens, so of course it's out of focus. One or
two steroid shots in the eye should clear it up in a couple of months. I
got the first--and hopefully the only one!--on Friday.  The odds are
very good that I'm going to be OK.

This is a cautionary tale for all of us.  If you notice a change in your
vision, DO NOT WAIT.  See an eye doctor as soon as possible. In the last
3 weeks I have had two major issues that could have destroyed my vision
in each eye.  It was my going to a good ophthalmologist as soon as I
noticed the problem that saved my vision.

I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about it, but it's been NO FUN!

--Peter

(*) OCT stands for Ocular Coherence Tomography.  That was fascinating.
It created three-dimensional cross-sectional pictures of my retina.