[OM] Harris' Checkerspot

Subject: [OM] Harris' Checkerspot
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:59:20 -0400 (EDT)
Philippe writes:
>>A very well caught beauty Mike

>>I must learn to work with a flash - even though I lent the fuji to
>>Alice for a congress last week and she came back with outstanding
>>(jpeg) pixes WITHOUT flash ...

>>Amitiés to Marnie too

Marnie sends her regards to you and Alice too.   Thanks for looking.

I was seeing if the T32 could be a compact fill flash solution and be
off axis in portrait orientation  enough for this size B'fly to capture
wing texture and bring out the colors.
It was a trial run for a Baltimore Checkerspot quest---they are usually
out by July 4th here.  They are very very  showy but in flat light just
don't
photograph well.  There may be something about the iridescent/very dark
background that just doesn't respond well to lifting the shadows,  LCE
etc.
I think  flash fill will fix that--that is my working hypothesis.  The
auto sensor on the T32 set two stops below exposure still tends to be 2
stops too strong with a
greenish distant background at the estimated mag for a medium sized
b'fly .  I did a test run before I left and a 2 or 3 stop ND filter is
just about right and I still have more flexibility than manual.
Someone else had the Canyon ring light using ETTL with the A/B sides
set about 2:1 which worked well w/o being too flat  for smallish
b'flies, but my solution was
satisfactory and much less costly.  I don't think he was impressed at
all  with my flash solution but was surprised to see a Big Foot in the
wild.

Student of Dr. Flash, Mike