Re: [OM] OT: Our new wind turbine

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Our new wind turbine
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:16:35 -0600
> It's a continuing, moot point, I believe.  But since there are several
> members and employees of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
> closely involved with the installation, the anwser must be "no".  The blades
> of a turbine do reach pretty high speeds, but it's probably the larger ones
> that are the problem.

It's usually the small, high RPM ones that are doing the mass
shredding. In the People's Republic of Iowa, we have regular ground
surveys looking for dead birds. It really doesn't happen that much.
Most of the migratory birds are flying far enough above the boundary
layer and they tend to fly when the wind patterns favor their route.
Local birds usually fly below the boundary layer.

Another factor is that the amount of turbulance, sound and pressure
change around the turbines usually gets the attention of the birds and
they avoid the disk. It does make a difference, though, how sparce or
dense the towers are. When you have just one or two in an area, they
tend to cause a few more bird deaths than normal. Same with the dense
installations because the birds can't figure out how to get out.
Iowa's tend to be spaced out a little bit more and the towers are more
randomly placed because of the terrain.

Speaking of turbulance, sound and pressure changes... The birds will
get severely disoriented or even knocked out of the air by the
turbulance, not the blades themselves.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx