Re: [OM] Happy Home

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy Home
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:45:43 -0400
I can understand your comments when applied to the poor in the USA.  I have
tried to do the same kind of documentary work living with a family that
receives help from local aid agencies that I do in developing countries.
 It's impossible.  I spent a week with a local family that receives food
from the food pantry and assistance with their power bill from a local
charity.  The very overweight mother and father spent the week sitting on
the couch in front of their wide screen TV with cable while eating potato
chips and drinking Pepsi and ordering cubic zirconia diamonds from the
shopping network.  Their son sat in his bedroom playing Nintendo on his own
television.  Needless to say, I did not get any photos I could use in a
fund-raising program for the charities.  I did go with Meals on Wheels on
many occasions when they delivered meals to the elderly, handicapped, and
shut-ins.  Those photos continue to raise funds and that charity is very
worthwhile.  Sometimes the MOW volunteer is the only person who visits
those people all week and is a vital link to the outside world.  I
photographed many Habitat for Humanity homes provided to families who did
sweat equity for their homes.  Some of those were good, worthy people who
were just down on their luck and willing to work hard for a home.  Others
mortgaged the homes as soon as possible to spend the money on drugs, losing
the houses they were given.  It's very depressing to try to do charitable
work in the USA and most people burn out very quickly.  It is totally
different in other countries where people do not have the expectation of
receiving something for nothing.

Tina

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Ken, Can't let this one go by without calling BS. Too many logical
> > inconsistencies and non sequiturs  to enumerate. A far cry from your
> > usual informative posts. All I can say is it's too bad that the sample
> > of "poor people"  encountered have lead you to these conclusions. I just
> > hope that this current lapse in judgement won't have you also trumpeting
> > the advantages of film.
>
> Well, I did shorten my statement, and combined several thoughts
> together. Maybe that's what you are sensing.
>

> --
> Ken Norton
> ken@xxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.zone-10.com