[OM] It Ain't So Bad - Poor man's Fuji XPRO1

Subject: [OM] It Ain't So Bad - Poor man's Fuji XPRO1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:26:48 -0600
MOOSE ALERT: DO NOT READ. DELETE IMMEDIATELY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Now that is out of the way...

I've been doing a little experimenting this week (very little, but
that's another story). I'm convinced that the XPRO1 is the cat's meow
of cameras right now. Smokin' great. The Canon is ultra boring. Like
total snoozer boring. Slice your wrists boring.

Well, I've been playing around with this nifty, and inexpensive 14-42
lens on the DMC-L1. Honestly, it's a very decent combination. The
size/weight of the lens is pretty much a perfect match to the camera.
The stock PanaLeica lens that came with the camera was just a bit too
large and heavy. It never did look quite right. But this lens really
does kind of finish it out. A little pedestrian in specifications, but
does the job for now.

Last night, I got my Sprint 3G/4G/LTE Wifi dohicky, so I can have
"high speed internet" at the apartment. Works great, less filling.
Screams pretty good here. I took a few minutes this morning, probably
5, to reconfigure the Eye-Fi card. At the moment, I've got it setup so
I can upload directly from the camera to Facebook all without plugging
ANYTHING in. Just shoot, set the "protect" flag on the image and it
takes care of the rest. At the moment I do have it set so it doesn't
share with everybody. I've got to go in and share it, but that's a
nice safeguard against unintentional embarrasing moments.

This is a different setup than what I was doing before. Previously, I
would have the images upload to the iPad or phone, but those required
a slightly different push/pull arrangement which required human
intervention. This just works on its own.

So, what I'm saying is that for THIS week, I'm pretty pleased with my
DMC-L1 system and what it is able to do. It's not a BAD camera, but
does have a few oddities which will drive you to drink.

Not insignificant at all, is that I have some of the wireless
capabilities of the Canon 6D with the styling of the XPRO1 all in one
package. Honestly, the DMC-L1 isn't half bad of a camera. In fact, if
you keep it within it's happy zone, it is a fantastic camera. And I
already own it.

Till next week.

--
Ken Norton