Re: [OM] Photographer Killed

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographer Killed
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:26:03 -0400
Oh, I knew that. But I wasn't particularly paranoid about the government,
either. At least not when it's full of whimpy liberals. It's when it's full of
the likes of Dick Cheney that my paranoia becomes manifest.

But having actually worked under the auspices of the NSA for four years in the
Army Security Agency, and extrapolating from what I've seen, read and heard
since, I'm not at all surprised by the recent revelations. In fact, they
weren't really revelations to anyone who pays attention to that sort of thing.
The information has been out there all along.

But it's a sexy story, and sexy stories sell advertising and allow those of us
who enjoy the view from our high horses to really sound off. (That's not a
judgment; I enjoy the high horse as much as anyone, maybe more.)

Years ago, my man Robert A. Heinlein said through his character Lazarus Long,
words to the effect that any society that requires more than one form of
identification is already at the gates of hell and should be left behind
without looking back.

I agree, but try as I might, I can't find a starship on which to book passage
to Some Other Place. That said, it's comforting to be a half-day's ride from
Canada, which though requiring more than one form of identification, is still
essentially more civilized than it's larger, brawling brother to the south.

--Bob Whitmire
Registered Neanderthal