Re: [OM] Coming clean

Subject: Re: [OM] Coming clean
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:14:06 -0600
> You are starting to sound serious. I've been thinking for a while that the 6D
> is a practical, 'head' purchase, and I have this sort of gut feeling that you
> won't much like actually using it. Best work comes with tools we enjoy using,
> more often than not.

The latest iterations of DSLRs from Canon have largely addressed the
bulk of my issues. Granted, they aren't anything like the OM-3Ti, but
what is? That ship done sailed.

> You were right about the 60D and me. I don't know where my feeling comes
> from, or whether it may be right, but suggest you search somewhere above or
> below your intellect for additional guidance before proceeding.

There was something just off about the 60D images you took. It is
entirely possible that it had absolutely nothing to do with the camera
itself, but something else going on in your life. Also, I would
suggest that the 60D presented a working method (twist-and-shout
live-view display) that caused you to frame up the scene differently.
When looking through viewfinders, we have an apparant image-size to
the eye that is equivalent to a larger picture hanging on the wall.
When we are looking at a monitor display, we are looking at a
proof-print in our hands. That smaller image area causes us to frame
up the images differently. I know this to be true with me. How I
compose an image on an OM is entirely different than how I compose it
on a 4/3 body. The viewfinder image size is so radically different
that I don't do anything subtle with 4/3. It's an all-or-nothing
approach. With the OM images, I can nuance the image in a way that
slight positional tweeks may make a big difference.

> Anathema to me, but does it make you happy to hold and use? How are the
> files? I imagine you have played with some Raw files?

A little bit. There is certainly some odd things going on with the
colors vs. brightness values. The colors don't always align with the
details. But that's right down at the pixel level. Everything is still
relative. I can nit-pick this aspect, but this will never show up in a
print. Besides, compared to what I'm used to working with, they're
perfect.

The 6D, is typical Canon. Great, but a little boring. Fuji's colors
and tonalities are simply lovely. It color blooms where it needs to,
and attenuates where it should. The in-camera JPEGs are the best ever.
I'm so used to the E-1's ability to create an awesome in-camera JPEG
and the Fujis have taken that to a massively better level. I
understand why so many people won't even bother shooting RAW at all.
The 6D's in-camera JPEGs are no where near the level of the Fujis, but
I've been able to tweak the settings enough of this generation of
cameras to get them to the point where I can shoot in-camera JPEG
without fear. I always figure it to take about 1000 carefully
controlled images to figure out the in-camera settings to use.

It comes down to one major thing. Sensor size. Just say "no" to crop
sensor cameras.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx