Re: [OM] Imgs of final jury architecture students, OM 50/2 and 21/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Imgs of final jury architecture students, OM 50/2 and 21/3.5
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:09:09 -0600
> As a huge fan (and student) of Frank
> Lloyd Wright's work, I tend to look at architectural design differently
> than a lot of folks.  Some of those designs left me cold, but quite a few
> show some real inventiveness and creativity.  Nice work.

I agree.

What is a challenge is being inventive and creative, but still
maintaining visual harmony with the surrounding landscape. These days,
the surrounding landscape is not just the lot which the building is
standing on, but the surrounding community.

Here in Denver, just south of the DTC along I-25, is a building that
is wider at the top than the bottom. It has the visual stance of
leaning. It reminds me of a half-eaten chocolate cupcake. It just sits
there and doesn't fit in at all with the surroundings. Yet, right
across I-25 is the IKEA store, which takes "box" to an artform. Does
IKEA fit in with the surroundings? Yes and no. It's essentially a
warehouse, so it fits in to the surroundings in that manner, but a
warehouse that is painted bright blue and yellow. Nothing subtle about
it. In the world of "Times Roman Buildings", it's pure "Helvetica".

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx