Re: [OM] Imgs of final jury architecture students, OM 50/2 and 21/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Imgs of final jury architecture students, OM 50/2 and 21/3.5
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:44:14 -0600
> Exactly.  That's really what Wright's "Organic Architecture" philosophy was
> about.  It was partially the idea that a building should look like it
> belongs, that it reflects the surrounding landscape.  It's a unified whole
> - structure and land, interior and exterior.  The materials should be used
> for their natural properties - don't use concrete and then try to make it
> look like wood.  Let it look like concrete.

There is a certain museum in NYC that could be considered to be a
break from this rule, though. There is nothing about it that blends in
with the surroundings.

> Ever
> since I've been studying Wright's work, when I walk into one of his houses,
> primarily from the Prairie era forwards, I just feel at home.

There is one in Whitehall, Michigan, that is built over a stream. This
place blends so well in with the surroundings that it took me YEARS to
identify it and I knew where it was. I've never been inside, but from
what I can see of it, I know that it would be exactly what I would
like.

The apartment complex I'm staying in is rather fascinating. It's
around 20 years old, but it was designed to be a mix of modern with
practical and tried-and-true. At a visual glance, it is very classy
and has the look of being "rich". However, as you look more closely,
you see how it exploits all the tricks of efficient and practical
design. Unlike all the newer complexes in the area, this one is only
two stories tall and has a distinct "condo" look to it--for which it
was actually planned to be a mix of condo and apartment. While there
are about 250 units in this complex, it looks small and quiet compared
to similarily sized ones built to more typical standards. (It's very
friendly to visiting Zuikophiles).

Our solar house in Iowa is an archetect designed place, so it
definitely has some oddities to it. However, you can tell that it was
designed to play on the strengths of standardized design. The basic
house shape is a yawner split-foyer, but with the solar atrium on the
front part, and the lower level set back far enough for summer
shading. Tack on the end, a huge garage and things definitely take on
a contemporary design. It's old enough that it could use a little
exterior facelift as some of the ultra-modern look is now kinda dated.
While there are tons of very unique aspects to the house, the basic
shapes are super-easy to construct with no unusual angles.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx