Re: [OM] Blackout

Subject: Re: [OM] Blackout
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:32:13 -0700
On 6/26/2013 10:55 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I never had any banding when I used the 20/1.7, either on a GF1 or on a
>> EPL-2.  What might cause such banding?
> I'm not sure.  It's not just me - I did see it mentioned in a couple of
> reviews.  It doesn't happen often, but it does (although it's subtle).
>
> General concensus is it must be something to do with the IS motor inside
> the lens.

Whoever that General may be, he/she appears to have a different lens than I do.
Mine has no IS, hence no IS motor, nor
do the on-line specs show IS.

I've taken shots by moonlight and not seen it. But I've not tried to bring up
super deep shadows, which may reveal all
sorts of unsavory things.

I tend rather to use heavy NR on really deep shadows if there is annoying noise
and leave 'em down there. I may mess
with the rest, but the deep, dark parts are what grounds the image and makes it
look like what it is, a shot in the dark.

Nighthawk Moose