Re: [OM] Blackout

Subject: Re: [OM] Blackout
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:26:47 -0700
On 6/26/2013 1:59 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Whoever that General may be, he/she appears to have a different lens than
>> I do. Mine has no IS, hence no IS motor, nor
>> do the on-line specs show IS.
> It should have IS - remember, Panasonic chose to put it in the lenses
> instead of the body like Olympus did.

I'm well aware. Yet they also chose not to include it in their prime lenses.
Whatever their overall logic behind that
decision, and for such short focal lengths, it makes some sense to me, I can
see why it would be left out of the 20/1.7.
It would increase the size and weight of a lovely little lens, making it less
special.

I suspect it's not just focal length that affects IS efficacy, but absolute
shutter speed, as well. With a fast lens of
short focal length, the IS would only be really useful at quite long shutter
speeds, where it might not be very effective?

> Yes, I mostly see it when I'm trying to bring out a level of exposure that
> really should have been made on the front end.  I've learned to not do that
> any more.

Now you've got it!

I.S. Moose