Re: [OM] Couple EP-5 reviews

Subject: Re: [OM] Couple EP-5 reviews
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:53:26 -0700
On 6/26/2013 1:49 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/olympus-pen-e-p5-digital-camera-review
>
> http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/05/10/oiympus-pen-e-p5/
>
> Wonder they  they left off weather sealing/alloy body given same price
> point as OM-D?

Oly has been playing this game from the beginning of the PENs, with incremental
improvements sometimes showing up first
further down the line and rather finely separated price points.  Relatively
great styling differences with each new
entry from its predecessor gives the impression of a lot of diversity and
'progress', while the innards often change
little or not at all. An interesting strategy for having a 'full' line with
minimal production differences. They must
find it's working for them, as they continue it. But all of them before the new
set with the 16 MP sensor take the same
images.

It does provide some 'interesting' choices for one looking to decide what to
buy. Maybe the idea is to get the potential
buyers so caught up in making Oly choices that they forget alternative brands?
:-)

In my case, I found the E-PM2 the most compelling of the new wave. For a
pocket/bag camera, I find the lack of a mode
wheel positive, as it can't get unintentionally moved in handling. As I shoot
in 'A' mode almost all the time, I find no
dial actually a plus. With no mode dial and the rear dial/wheel turned off*,
the darn thing is actually set up where I
want it almost always, no matter how it's been handled.

With the addition of touch screen and an additional function button, it answers
the weaknesses of the E-PM1 and actually
has all the controls I need easily at hand. Having previously used the E-PL3
and E-PM1 pair, I find the 'mini' models
actually more practical for casual/pocket/bag/etc. use.

Minnie Moose

* Only the turning function is off; the four direction buttons still work. But
it's the turning action that always
changes my chosen aperture at random. The right button is set to turn the dial
lock on and off.