Re: [OM] Imgs of final jury architecture students

Subject: Re: [OM] Imgs of final jury architecture students
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:44:53 +1200
Ken wrote:
> > Unfortunately he tended to take the concept too far. The "organic"
> > processes are a known problem eating away some of his structures. Too
> > much artist and not enough engineer.
>
> I think one of the greatest sins in architectural training is the
> failure to adequately focus on water intrusion and material failure.

Very true. New Zealand had a rash of this in the construction of private
houses and large condominiums over a 10? year period some 10+ years
ago.

Caused by a combination of inadequate architect experience / bad design,
greedy builders who would periodically wind up their companies and start in
a new name, to avoid being caught by dissatisfied customers, and the same
builders compelling their tradesmen to use practices ( such as resulted in
loss of weather-tightness) which the tradesmen KNEW were wrong. But
they needed work. Also, the Local Government plan certifying people did a
lousy job in many cases and passed plans which were inadequate.

The nation as a whole has and is still suffering over this. many Local
Governments are having to pay up too because of their faulty certifying.

There has been a huge change in the Building Regulations as a result.

Brian Swale