Re: [OM] IMG: Extreme Light

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Extreme Light
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:07:42 -0700
On 6/11/2013 4:41 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Why don't you just teach me how to do it :-)  I promise, I'm trying.  I
> don't get it yet.  They are all different but you seem to get them all to
> the same or similar place which I have not been able to do.  I'm still
> working and reading and experimenting and looking for the magic solution
> which is not there.

I imagine that a few hours together over a hot computer monitor would help.

You have an amazing talent to create, through your personality and talent, then
see and capture, well composed,
emotionally powerful and engaging images of people. I don't expect to ever come
within a country mile of your talent there.

OTOH, it seems that my inherent talent in PS is not all that common, and thus
hard/impossible to fully teach to everyone.

"They are all different but you seem to get them all to the same or similar
place ... looking for the magic solution
which is not there. "

You have put your finger on at least a part of it. When I look at an image, I
tend to see another image within it, if
that makes any sense. That's why results of the same sort of subject tend to
end up in similar places; that's what the
subject, light, etc. looks like in my head. They all look different to start
with due to differences in film, process,
etc., not inherent differences in subject. You might say I see the similarities
more than the differences, or that the
differences are a veil over the similarities.

(It can also be a bit of a curse. Many faults that are minor or unnoticed to
others scream at me. For example, blown
highlights or bright halos in many images are like a big, black 'X' marked
across it; I can hardly see the subject.)

Then the task is to use the tools at hand to bring what is veiled. Use of each
tool may be a learnable skill for most
folks. Learning which to use, in what way and what order is not a matter of
some "magic" formula, but, at least for me,
a matter of working toward something already existing in my head.

If the things I usually do lead to what I want, that's quick and easy. If not,
I will sometimes spend a lot of time
finding a way to get at least close to what I'm looking for. Sometimes,
thankfully rarely, I just can't get close enough
and need to move on.

I am often surprised at the results of 'pro' advice in web or print tutorials
that fall short of the potential of the
example images. I still look at them, as the nature of PS is that there is
always something new to learn in tools and
techniques. A handful of times, I've emailed the authors with alternate
suggestions. I've not been flamed, but also not,
I think, done much good.

I remember one tutorial by an expert in PopPhoto where the resulting apparent
direction of morning light was obviously
wrong. I sent the author a simple suggestions and an image showing how it could
be enhanced much as she aimed for, but
with a natural light direction. I got a short, polite thanks. :-)

Conventional Western, Christian based, ethos often includes an idea about
humility that I think is flawed, and not what
Jesus taught. Should I keep my head down, "Aw shucks, it was nothin'. Anyone
else would/could do as well, almost
certainly better." Or should I remove the basket, and let both my talents and
shortcomings show?

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do
people light a lamp and put it under a
basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same
way, let your light shine before others, so
that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in
heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

I don't think Matthew goes far enough, ignoring the gift those who don't hide
their light offer to others:

"We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the
glory of God that is within us. It's not
just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we
unconsciously give other people permission
to do the same.”
― Marianne Williamson, Return to Love

You might note how this addendum fits your original subject line, "Extreme
Light". :-)

True humility is simple; tell the truth about yourself, as best you can, no
bragging, no down playing.

When I met the great psychologist, Robert A. Johnson, I told him how much I
admired his ability to put subtle/complex
psychological truths in simple, concise language. His reply? "Yes, I have the
gift of simplicity." A perfect answer from
a great, humble man.

Sunday Moose