[OM] Another engineer portrait up

Subject: [OM] Another engineer portrait up
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:26:08 -0500

I finally got my boss to pose for a shot in front of his new Avid
console.  He kept putting me off, and finally said, "Next time I
actually mix, maybe I'll do it then."

Yesterday we had ShaNaNa come through, and they just use the house
engineer.  So, Jim got to use his shiny new Avid SC48 mixing console and
gave in and posed for an "Office" shot.

Done with the E-M5 and the Panny 20/1.7, available light only which, in
the Stardust room, is a mix of fluorescent and sodium.

Jim's a good guy.  He's appreciative when you do good work, gives you
responsibilities and lets you run with them, and he's taught me the
majority of what I know about show production and live mixing. I had
been mixing for several years at the theatre before I started working
for JLM (his company) but a lot of that was just blindly trying things
that didn't always work.  I'm a significantly better engineer now, and I
have much better grasp on the right way to do things, something that I
now insist on at the theatre instead of "well, maybe we can sort of get
by with cheap if we do this instead..." and always regretting it.

C&C encouraged.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard