Re: [OM] OMD batteries update please

Subject: Re: [OM] OMD batteries update please
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 14:03:34 -0700
On 7/2/2013 1:04 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The price differential between the Progo and your new find is not very
> large.  I would recommend sticking with what appears to work well.

Third party batteries that would charge in the Oly charger and display
remaining life reliably in the camera weren't
available last year when I needed extras for our New England trip. I bought a
pair of Wasabi batteries with charger.

Other than having less actual life per charge than the Oly battery, as with all
third party batteries so far, they
worked flawlessly for me on a month+ trip with extensive photography, and have
been fine with less use since I got the
Progo.

Your link is to what looks like the same thing, with a different brand.
However, with shipping, they cost  $23.93.
Wasabis, a fairly well known third party battery supplier with good-excellent
reviews are $23.99, with Amazon
fulfillment. So free shipping with Prime or $25 order. Unless the card reader
or generic LCD covers are of value to you,
I'd go with the better known brand.

Either third party charger has the advantage of a cord for 12v charging.

> As
> in the case of my EZOs I thought all was well.  They took a first
> charge, delivered an acceptable number of shots from that first charge
> and then didn't work at all on the second use.  Proving the battery
> works may take as long as being on your trip before you discover it
> doesn't really work for the long haul.
>
> This Wiki article on Li-ion says the self-discharge rate is temperature
> dependent.  They show 8%/month at 21C/70F and 15%/month at 40C/104F.
> There's more data there but I doubt you're interested in temperatures
> much higher than 40C.  :-)
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery>

Over the length of a camping trip, or even a few weeks, I've not had any
problems with my batteries. I believe the short
shelf lives reported by Chuck and ____? are not typical. Again, my Wasabis are
still holding a charge after 10 months,
and the Progo after fewer months, but more extensive use. It's been run down to
the point of not operating the camera
several times, then popped out and another battery popped in.

I just tried both Wasabis in the E-M5. One has been sitting without use for at
least several weeks, perhaps months, and
the other charged within the last month or so. Both showed full in the camera.
In spite of Wasabi's warnings, I've found
that the camera battery status has been reasonably accurate at least in showing
when they are approaching needing
replacement. Clearly, neither my Wasabi's nor Progo suffer from the kind of
failure Chuck experienced with his EZOs.

Could change at any time, and I do like not having all my eggs in one basket,
with three different brands and two
chargers, but that's my experience to date.

Charged Up Moose