Re: [OM] Monsanto patents Broccoli

Subject: Re: [OM] Monsanto patents Broccoli
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 20:54:52 -0500
On 7/3/13 18:05 : , Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Sounds like BS/scaremongering by an advocacy group. In general, natural
> processes are not patentable, although related technologies may be. So, for
> example, a company cannot patent a gene per se, but it can patent a novel way
> of testing for that gene (or manipulating it).
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>

> On Jul 3, 2013, at 5:55 PM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
>
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> do you have a professional opinion on this? <
>> http://www.naturalnews.com/041014_Monsanto_seed_patents_GMOs.html>

However, it wouldn't surprise me.  Monsanto has successfully sued
farmers over here who reserved part of their harvest to plant the next
year, claiming that not only do they own the original seeds that were
sown,  but they also own the rights to all successive generations of
plants grown from those seeds.

Monsanto is becoming a problem.  Not only do they have very
highly-placed friends, all former executives and attorneys and
scientistrs, in government (Including Clarence Thomas, who was a former
Monsanto corporate attorney.  From what I can find, he's ruled in favor
of Monsanto in every single case that's come before the Supreme Court)
but they are trying their hardest to make it illegal to grow your own
organic crops and sell them to the public, like at roadside farmers
markets.  They've met resistance outside of the USA, which is why you
see stories like this one.  They don't have former employees in EU
government, so it's a harder battle.

There's a conflict of interest as I see it.  Sure, they're trying to
maximize shareholder value.  But they are also trying to force the
farming world to use seeds that are genetically engineered to be
resistant only to Roundup, which, by sheer coincidence, is a herbicide
that they developed and sell.

I know there's a lot of scaremongering going on, but all of their own PR
reads exactly like what Phillip Morris and RJ Reynolds was putting out
before they finally got slapped down.  And all of those studies that
said smoking was totally not bad for you at all so go ahead and light
up?  Paid for by the tobacco companies.  Just like I'm sure most of the
"studies" that show GMO crops are perfectly healthy for you.

And that's the extent of my political raving for this week.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard