Re: [OM] Saturday Big Foot Flower

Subject: Re: [OM] Saturday Big Foot Flower
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 00:54:42 -0700
On 7/3/2013 6:48 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Can't Leave It Moose writes:
>
> Simply pulling down the top in Levels is much nicer, and then, well.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Nasturtium.htm>
>

> Hmmm,
>
> Noticed the histo center off to the left.  I don't use levels all that
> often (probable error)

Curves can't pull the histogram up to the end. The two simple ways to do that
are Brightness and Levels. They affect it
in different ways, (Two different ones for Brightness, depending on which
little box on bottom right is checked.)

I generally use Levels for this simple job. Pull the right side slider down to
meet the top of the data. Most often,
that does it. Could also have been done in ACR, with Exposure and/or Whites and
Highlights.

>   but seem to use a curves layer more now.
> On the later you used a gentle S shape?

Most likely.

> It was late in the afternoon and it was largely back lit and my aim was
> capture the glow towards the central third where the plane of focus was
> placed and keep the
> gently Big Foot blurred petals subdued.  I wanted it understated but
> perhaps overdid the understatement. Big Foot loses some magic much
> beyond F5.6 (there is a half stop setting to F8)

Ah, that tells me why less than what I would call ideal DOF. The bokeh is
certainly nice.

> though I may have
> focus stacked for a similar Moose version if conditions permitted.
> Curiously I did have some LCE and FM.   I did enjoy and learn from the
> roll overs.

I live to serve. ;-)

> That all be said despite a strong lobbying preamble, Marnie quickly
> chose the final Moose version as superior.

Sorry about that. I can understand the urge toward understatement, but it's
hard to resist flower as star. :-)

> Just back from vet, Othello has some GI issue and was dehydrated.  Some
> lactated ringers (I have more on my desk if needed), IV pepsid, Zofran,
> and he looks much better. I blanched at the bill
> but it was the proper course.
> Still not his bossy self but I hope tomorrow he will be.

I certainly hope so!!