Re: [OM] Macro light URL and LED's in general

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro light URL and LED's in general
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 06:52:03 +1000
Thanks mate - but you only need to post the url up to the item number - the
rest seems to be 'junk DNA'!
It's an interesting item but the JJC brand only seems to be available from the
US (I have a hood for the Oly mFT 45mm f1.8 witht hat brand name).
I was looking for a seller in China (free postage) or closer to home and found
this one in Aus -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Macro-Flexi-Lights-Flexible-Light-Stalks-NEW-/150967393065
That would save me around $10 in postage!

I've become increasingly interested in LED's and I'm playing with building my
own panels at the moment. But the other day I found some so-called 'Bat' lights
in a hardware store chain here. These are made for workmen as a utility light
and feature two panels which open out - hence the name. The hinge has a torch
at one end as well and rechargeable batteries inside. One click on the button
ives you the torch, a second changes to one panel and a third to both panels.
Very bright indeed and cold light - I'll be using two to light a cocoon for
ebay and camera pix. 1.5 hours for both panels on a charge. They cost me $27
each and two would be good enough for portrait work with a bit of white nylon
as a diffuser. Haven't found them on ebay yet or I'd bulk buy them and modify.
Here it's a 'Click' brand Bat light at Bunnings. The only disadvantage is the
short life  on full power and the fact that you can't use them while recharging
so no AC mains power option. I just need to make a c
 lamp for them - something like a microphone holder would do it.

I'm also playing with the light bulb/globe design offerred out of China for
around $5 post free - 2.5 to 7w. These are directional like a spotlight because
under a frosted palstic dome they have a disc of LED's and a tiny 12V power
converter underneath it. I'mplanning to mount several discs on a flat panel in
parallel with their power converters with an opal white acrylic sheet in front.
Should be possible to make a small and powerful flat panel floodlight.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com
Author/Publisher: The SLR Compendium - http://www.blurb.com/books/3732813