Re: [OM] IMGS: Magnolia, Rose of Sharon

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Magnolia, Rose of Sharon
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 01:44:25 -0700
On 7/3/2013 7:48 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> PESO:
>
> A small break in the rain this morning so I grabbed a couple of shots with
> the MM:

Rather like Brian, I don't generally find B&W shots of flowers appealing. They
may be good, but require stronger
composition than color of the same subjects, a tonal range that uses the
strengths of B&W and good other technical
qualities.

When they are a playground of tonality, texture, line and compositional forms,
they can be lovely.

> http://www.pbase.com/image/151125889

This one, to my eye, has multiple problems. The glorious tonal graduations and
smoothness of your diner image don't seem
in much evidence here. Perhaps slider(s) slid too far? Not, bad, but not
lending assistance.

The edgy bokeh of the background is also unappealing to me.

The composition is too busy, too. Perhaps not so evident in color(?), but clear
here, where my eye is being pulled every
which way.

Not to suggest that they are in any way complete, I offer some examples of how
it might work better, pulling the focal
plane forward, with perhaps less DOF, and a couple of simpler compositions.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Magnolia.htm>

I agree with Brian here. The sharply focused leaves at the back of the flower
and blurred petals and stamen in front
aren't appealing. Although not ready for prime time, I hope this example of
moving the apparent focal plane forward
gives an idea what it could look like.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Rose_of_Sharon.htm>

I'm a little torn between the soft look, simply selectively softened and
sharpened, but I sort of like the more fully
processed one, too. I think it would look great printed on a soft finish paper.

I mis-focus flowers like this pretty regularly, so I tend to bracket, often
getting the right focal plane that way,
sometimes not.

F.P. Moose