Re: [OM] Monsanto patents Broccoli

Subject: Re: [OM] Monsanto patents Broccoli
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 10:59:05 +1000
Perhaps I should have used the term 'plausible' rather than 'good'!
I was talking about the general concept of GM, not just about the use of it by
major corporations and agribusiness through PVR to 'capture' users. That's the
politics of it, which is highly suspect. 'Golden Rice' is a notorious example
and much quoted by opponents. There are other non-GM examples, such as F1
hybrid seeds which deny users the opportunity to create their own seed bank by
creating plants that bear non-viable seed within 1-3 generations. That was
achieved by traditional selective breeding I think - they've been around for a
long time. The underlying problem has been around a very long time indeed -
monoculture. These are simply new technological developments that support it.
But I'm less convinced by arguments that GM food products are in some way
'unwholesome' or even toxic. That's an entirely different matter but I see and
hear a lot of unclear thinking on this.
But then, some of those unclear thinkers are sitting on a roof down the road
right now to prevent demolition, in order that a Macdonalds outlet can be
built. Good luck to them.
They're the ones that are prepared to get arrested.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com
Author/Publisher: The SLR Compendium - http://www.blurb.com/books/3732813