Re: [OM] Squaretrade Warranties

Subject: Re: [OM] Squaretrade Warranties
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 10:19:38 -0400
A bad choice I think.  I will not purchase a warranty provided by a
third party.  If B&H (or any company) wants to warrant their products
let them do it themselves where they remain responsible and thus have
incentive to control the quality of what they're selling.

I felt pretty stupid about it but, when I bought my 2013 Chrysler T&C
last January I was concerned about the amount of electronic gizmos on
the car and the repair prices for same and decided to add an extended 7
yr warranty covering things other than the engine and drivetrain (which
already had adequate warranty coverage).

Despite considering myself a savvy shopper I was astounded when I got
home and discovered that the warranty I bought was from a third party
and not from Chrysler Corp.  It didn't take more than a few minutes of
web searching to discover that I would never knowingly do business with
that company.  There were very numerous reports of failure of the
company to provide any of the contracted coverage and, even scarier,
many reports of people who canceled their coverage within the 30 day
contract requirement but who were never reimbursed for anything... they
lost both the price of the warranty as well as any semblance of
coverage.  I was back as the dealer's facility (60 miles away) at 8:00
the very next morning.  The sales manager first tried to assure me that
I had the company name confused with another company with a similar
name.  But when I started to raise my voice in the showroom with other
customers present they decided it was better to do as I requested and
switch the extended warranty to a Chysler Corp. warranty... which, in
addition, also got me a $100 refund.  Caveat emptor.

Apart from that ugly trick I rather enjoyed working with that
dealership.  But they'll never sell me another single thing now.

Chuck Norcutt