[OM] OT: Mind-altering drugs

Subject: [OM] OT: Mind-altering drugs
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:58:01 -0500
Andrew recently posted about his amazing "trip" with the drug Prednisolone.
Similar effects can occur naturally:
   I was deer hunting several years ago in Wisconsin.  I saw a nice doe
sneaking by me to my right, so I raised the gun, took careful aim, and
squeezed the trigger.  Bang.  The doe bolted off.  "Huh??", I thought--I
couldn't have missed.  I walked through the fresh snow and started
following the doe's tracks.  After maybe 50 meters I came across a single
drop of fresh blood on the snow.  I'll never forget what happened at the
sight of that drop of blood:  I was suddenly 8' tall, I could walk across
the top of the snow without damaging a single flake, and I was taking 6'
long strides.  I would throw my kill over my shoulder and bring her back to
feed the members of my starving village.  They would all put on a great
feast that evening in my honor. Eating, singing, dancing, getting
drunk--we'd have a real blast.   Best of all, I would have the pick of any
14-year-old maiden in the village for the night.  "Holy S#@t" I thought,
what's happening?  The euphoria disappeared when I started field-dressing
(aka "gutting") the doe.  I mentioned this experience to a physician once,
and he laughed and said,  "Oh, you had a serotonin release."  Wow, I
thought, can one buy this stuff in a pill form?  The sight of a single drop
of blood on the fresh snow, and my mind was instantly transported back a
half million years in human evolution.  And it wasn't from a pill--that
serotonin stuff was just waiting there to be released.  Amazing, absolutely
amazing.  YMMV, of course.
    Any thoughts, Mike G.?
Dean