Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer

Subject: Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 18:45:16 +0100
You maybe need to know that the train is approaching the highest point on
the British railway system, altitude 1480 feet, so the extra steam being
pumped into the smokebox may not be just for appearance's sake!  A gradient
profile of the section just north shows gradients of 1:60:
<http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/map_zoom.jsp?item_id=43880&zoom=3>

And keep in mind that both locomotives are 70-75 years old! If you want to
compare with a better-condition locomotive, take a look at this newly-built
beauty on the same line: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhlYBR91igo>

The first half of the clip includes the portions of the line in my images,
while the run down to the brick viaduct towards the end of the clip is at
1:60 gradient. Not much steam to be seen there!

Piers