[OM] One more lens to look for

Subject: [OM] One more lens to look for
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 19:10:43 -0400 (EDT)
Perhaps I missed it but NO mention of the Zuiko 85/2????? I may be a
broken record (corrupted MP3?) on this but this is the eminent "Queens
lens" in our house with a position of honor. Jane Bown used it at f2,8
for many of her portraits and even of the Queen--typically at
1/60th---note the OM1- is curiously at 1/125 in the image??? She waited
for the light to be just right
in the room she had chosen for the portrait session before the Queen
entered.

http://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1365602743107/Jane-Bown's-OM-1.pdf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gnmeducationcentre/jane-bown-camera-teaching-resource-gnm-archive

It is small despite the speed and a great portrait lens. The bokeh can
be a bit nervous with the background at
about 10 ft. I sometimes use the CV 90/3.5 OM mount Apo-Lanthar in that
situation and it is wicked sharp. (perhaps too much so)

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/07/the-ten-sharpest-lenses.html

MTF is impressive for that lens and it is close focusing but not really
a macro lens. Bokeh is better at 10ft background
and it is small of course too but I like the zuiko better for portrait
use in general.

IF you can find one in OM mount I might have to dethrone the Zuiko
200/4 for the very small CV 180/4 apo Lanthar. It fits in my jacket
pocket and is tack sharp wide open with very nice Bokeh. It is the most
zuiko-ish non-zuiko I have seen and I bet Oly would have made something
similar if they had continued the OM line. I goes to 1:4 too and no
slouch at infinity but excels at middle distances and close up. Oh, it
does focus the "wrong" way though and balls me.

CV180 f4 485 gm 66mm X 59mm 49mm filter!! MFD 1.2m Max mag 1:4

Did I say it is tiny?

The zuiko 200/5 is lighter but longer barrell and hard to find in MC
flavor. The CV180 is very very hard to beat in this FL
in any mount for  any lens close to this size.

http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup/200mmf5.htm

Mike