Re: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 07:25:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Don H. posted a link to three older OM macro lenses for sale on ebay.  I
>have two, the 80 and the 20, and I haven't used either in years.  The 80/4
>is the older, "preset" version--i.e., focus wide open, then manually stop
>down to a pre-set f-stop.  Ahh, maybe OK on a tripod in the studio, but
>kinda clumsy in the field.   I've thought of using it on my Bolex EL 16mm
>movie camera but haven't gotten a "round tuit" yet.  (But the 135/4.5 from
>Bill B. works great on the EL for butterfly work.)  Both the 38 and 20
>manual lenses are an order of magnitude less useful than their automatic
>versions.
>     The automatic 38/2.8 is the entomologist's macro lens to kill for.
>That's why I have three.  And no one was killed--just two unbelievably
>lucky (< $200) snipes on ebay.
>     In short, if you're looking to do some serious macro shots with an OM
>film camera, I'd say hold out, and pay the price, for the automatic
>versions of these focal lengths.
>Luv that 38/2.8 Dean

     Speaking of wide angle macro lenses suitable for entomology, I recently
picked up a Quantaray 24-40/3.5.  I had ignored this lens until I learned that
it was made by Sun Optical:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sun-wide-zoom-macro-24-40mm-f3-5.html

     I picked this one up on eBay with the leather case and both caps for a
mere $30, well below the average eBay price.  Engaging the macro focusing is a
bit tricky, but once you understand how it's not that great a mystery.  At the
24mm end it will focus down to 5cm.

Chris